Ants, schmantz—here’s an inviting idea. In honor of National Picnic Day (and the Free Spirit Style trend that’s suddenly everywhere!), let’s explore some unique spots for throwing down a blanket, and some unexpected packables, too.
Unconventional Picnic Places
Go way beyond the park! How about:
- a parking garage rooftop (good for elevating your view)
- an outdoor music amphitheater
- a sculpture garden
- a vineyard or a flower patch
- alongside a bike trail (just pull off and picnic!)
- your living room rug (my friend’s boyfriend did this as a Valentine’s Day surprise and she loved it—complete with cut-out cardboard trees!)
Unconventional Picnic Packables
If you’re picnicking in a fun spot, you might as well have some out-of-the-basket nosh, too. Some food for thought: sushi, quinoa salad, Texas-style new potato salad (spoiler alert: no mayo!), roasted corn & poblano salad, chocolate-filled strawberries.
Here’s a recipe for another special treat, Melon & Prosciutto skewers.
Cut honeydew or cantaloupe into cubes. Tear prosciutto into thin strips. Thread onto skewers, alternating. Drizzle with balsamic reduction before serving (optional).