Want a craft you can do with the kids, while creating something that would also make a great gift? Making your own snow globe is easy and can be personalized for anyone!
what you need
- A jar with a lid (we used a pickle jar and a mason jar)
- White styrofoam
- Craft knife
- Waterproof glue (like GOOP; we used craft glue and hot glue)
- Artificial snow or glitter
- Items to put in the globe (should be waterproof)
1. Cut the styrofoam to fit the inside of the lid. Then glue the styrofoam to the lid.
Tip: Do not use super glue. It will melt the styrofoam!
2. Position the items you’ve chosen on top of the styrofoam. Be sure to position them so you’ll still be able to insert the “scene” into the jar.
Tip: We suggest choosing items that mean something to the person who will receive it, or to the people who are making it. For example, if you know someone who is really into cars, you could use a small plastic toy car. Or you could stick to a traditional Christmas theme. Whatever items you choose, just make sure they’re waterproof. Plastic is a good bet.
3. Glue the items to the styrofoam. Let the glue dry COMPLETELY before moving on to the next step.
Tip: Carve out the foam so that the items fit snugly.
4. Add whatever you’re using for snow to the jar. We love glitter!
5. Fill the jar almost to the top with water. Leave about 2 inches to make sure the water doesn’t spill over when you insert the item.
6. Carefully insert the “scene” into the jar and screw the lid on. Apply glue where the jar and lid meet, all the way around. Let dry.
If you want, you can tie a ribbon around the lid to hide it. We suggest gluing it down, too.
You can also write on the jar with a paint pen, glue snowflakes to the jar—anything you want! The possibilities are endless!