Whether cozy knit or elegant silk, a scarf immediately adds personality, color, and texture to an outfit. Luckily the ways to wear a scarf are just as numerous as the styles.
Scarves work with any outfit, and often even transform them for the better. If you’re not sure how to wear a scarf, you’re missing out on one of the most versatile clothing items. Update your wardrobe with these ideas.
with your coat
Look fashionable while staying warm by adding a well-chosen scarf to your outerwear. Opt for warm fabrics like wool, silk, and fleece, and avoid cotton and synthetic materials, which don’t hold heat.
- Loop a scarf under the collar of a jacket for a bit of color. You can knot it around your neck for extra warmth or let it hang freely.
- Tie a warm wool scarf around your neck and zip or button your coat up to mid-chest, leaving the scarf exposed to frame your face.
- Wind a scarf around your neck—or just don a circle scarf—and adjust it into a flattering poof.
- Fold your scarf in half length-wise, place it around your neck, and pull the ends through the loop for a sturdy, easy, and warm accessory.
with your outfit
When paired with different scarves, your outfits will take on entirely new personalities. Make the most of your wardrobe’s possibilities by pairing patterned scarves with solids and brighter colors with otherwise bland items. Scarves are also a great way to incorporate festive colors and motifs into your normal outfits.
Most ways to wear a scarf as outerwear can be adapted for inside, but here are a few more styles to add to your list.
If not otherwise specified, these begin with the scarf hanging around your neck.
- Tie a loose knot a few inches below your neck—or closer to your waist on a longer scarf—for a simple look that stays all day.
- Wrap the longer side of a scarf around your neck twice so both sides dangle in the front. You can stop there, or fan out the longer side and tuck it into the neck for a full look.
- Tie an oversized bow with your scarf to add a touch of whimsy.
- Flip one end over your shoulder while the other hangs down for a dramatic look.
- Drape a larger scarf around your shoulders like a wrap. You can opt to tie it loosely in front or just use your arms to secure it. You can also flip one end behind, like the previous idea, to create an elegant (and warm!) style with maximum coverage.
Ready to experiment with how you wear scarves?
Look for new ways to use scarves and suddenly the options will seem endless. These are just a few.
- Add a scarf to your hair as a chic headband or pony detail.
- Knot a small scarf around your neck like a choker.
- Wear a scarf instead of a belt.
- Tie a scarf to your purse.
Browse our scarf and wrap collection for further inspiration!